Tuesday, January 19, 2021

The Harvesting Series by Melanie Karsak

I read a few dystopian series in September and October.  I was uninterested in writing any kind of proper review, but I do want to give some information about the three sets of books that I read.  If you happen to like the same kind of dystopian novel that I do, then I want you to know that these also fit what I like.  I find it very hard to locate the exact kind of dystopian novel that I enjoy.  

This post covers the first set that I read, which is the Harvesting Series by Melanie Karsak.  The set contains five books.  They are pretty short, so far as this kind of book goes.  As I recall, the books feature three different sets of characters.  These characters are introduced in separate volumes.  This concerned me when I finished the first book and began the second book to find that it contained different characters.  Sometimes authors do a poor job when switching between different sets of characters in their parallel adventures.  In this case, it is just fine.  I feel that it works better for the different sets of characters to be introduced in different volumes from each other.  The reader does not have to switch back and forth between sets of a characters within a single volume.  

These books border on fantasy, but they are set firmly in our world.  For that reason, I don't mind the fantasy aspect.  For the most part, I am not a fan of fantasy, so it's important to me that any book similar to that type is set in our world.  I have no patience for detailed descriptions of worlds dramatically different from ours.  I don't have time for that.

I copied the summaries of three of the books from Amazon's product pages.  It is okay to read these three summaries.  They will not spoil the series, since each summary is from a book that introduces one of the sets of characters.  I'm always afraid to read any summary past the first book in a set since they tend to contain major spoilers for continuing story arcs.  These summaries are fine.

#1 The Harvesting

Layla spent her whole life running away from her hometown.  Raised by the town’s medium, and called the "weird" girl, the last thing she wants is to go home.  But when Layla gets a desperate call to return just as an outbreak sweeps the globe, her instincts urge her to go.  Good thing, because the dead are rising.  The town’s residents, including the ex who jilted her, will need Layla’s help if they hope to survive the end of the world.

#2 Midway

Step right up, ladies and gentlemen, for the beginning of the end.

Carnie.  Ride jockey.  Roustabout.  White trash.  Tilt girl.  Gypsy.  Cricket has been called a lot of things, but she never thought survivor of the zombie apocalypse would be one of them.  One day she’s barking on the midway, and the next day, the world is eating itself alive.

Cricket, along with Vella, a tarot reader, and Puck, Cricket’s mangy mutt, find themselves running for their lives, but where can you hide when mankind has fallen? Cricket will need help if she hopes to survive.


#4 Witch Wood

Harm none, and be ready for zombies.

In the little town of Brighton, Amelia’s practice of Wicca marks her as a curiosity both at home and at school.  But Amelia can’t change what she is.  Knowing how to see auras, heal, and cast spells comes naturally to her.  Only Madame Knightly, the ancient matriarch and owner of Witch Wood Estate, to whom Amelia plays caretaker, doesn’t seem to mind.  In fact, the crumbling old mansion is full of oddities.

However, when modern treatments fail to make a dent in the flu outbreak sweeping the globe, those who once ridiculed her white witchcraft turn to Amelia for help.  While her eucalyptus tinctures prove no more effective than western medicine, her spell-casting is another matter.  The residents of Brighton soon depend on the very magic they once ridiculed to save their lives.

I have not included the summaries for #3 and #5.  In #3 The Shadow Aspect, the characters from the first two books meet each together.  In #5 The Torn World, all three sets of characters come together.  

I must mention one quote from page 203 of the fifth book.  "The idea of a vampire, and not the sorry-assed sparkly kind, terrifies me."  Ooh, insulting Edward Cullen.  Nice.

I really enjoy reading this type of book when the text flows well and is interesting from start to finish.  This set is exactly like that.  The main weakness that I recall is that there are way too many characters in the first book.  As the extra characters begin to be killed off, it becomes much easier to keep everyone straight.  

I enjoyed this series.

No comments: