Sunday, September 27, 2009

Billie Bradley Page Now Up

I just placed the link to the Billie Bradley section on the main page of my site. Here is a link:

Billie Bradley section


I almost put it up a week ago, but I was feeling ill enough that I never followed through. I still have to finish the summary for #7, which I am currently reading, and do the summaries for #8 and #9, which I have yet to read. At the rate I am going, it might be a number of weeks. #7 has been difficult to get through, but it is getting better. I am on page 124, which is where I found the quote that I used on the main page of the Billie Bradley section. Finally, the book is getting interesting. I will expand upon my thoughts regarding #7 in another post.

Last weekend before I felt too ill to do anything, I placed my extra Billie Bradley books up for sale on Bonanzle.

Billie Bradley books for sale

These books are from some lots that I purchased relatively recently on eBay. In each lot, I was able to get at least a couple of dust jackets that I did not already have.

In just the last week, I acquired one of the Sully dust jackets. I like the Sully dust jacket because it actually has summaries of the first three titles in the series. The Cupples and Leon dust jackets do not have summaries.

5 comments:

Lenora said...

"Billie's best friends are Laura Jordan and Violet Farrington. Laura is the daughter of Raymond Farrington, who owns a large jewelry factory. Laura is rich and a little spoiled. Violet is more timid, and her father is a lawyer."

Is Laura the daughter of Raymond Jordan, or is Violet the daughter of Raymond Farrington?

Jennifer White said...

I'm glad you noticed that. I have corrected it to "Laura is the daughter of Raymond Jordan, who owns a large jewelry factory."

I think I typed that part two weeks ago when I was sick. It has not been a good couple of weeks.

I made have made the mistake because Violet's father is Richard Farrington. Why do the names have to be kind of similar?

keeline said...

Similar names or, worse yet, the same forename are often avoided in literature because it tends to confuse the reader, especially when the character is referred to by the first name. Many how-to-write-a-novel books suggest avoiding similar names whenever possible.

James

beautifulshell said...

Jennifer - where would you rank Billie Bradley as a series? Your descriptions don't make it sound like one of the more engaging ones; has it improved? Would you collect this series again, after having read them?

Jennifer White said...

I don't like the Billie Bradley books as much as I like Betty Gordon, which is a similar series. I probably like the Billie Bradley books about the same as I do the first half of the Ruth Fielding series. I did not find the first half of the Ruth Fielding series to be very engaging, yet others seem to love the early Ruth Fielding books.

Overall, I do think that the Billie Bradley books are worth collecting, most particularly because it is a forerunner to the Nancy Drew series. However, it is more of an average series rather than an above average series.