Monday, January 1, 2007

The Riddle Club Series

I will be adding the Riddle Club section to my site soon, either tomorrow or later this week. I have just begun to read the last book in the series.

While I thought that the Riddle Club books might be worth collecting, I have to say that they have been a pleasant surprise and better than I expected. I first noticed the series a couple years ago as I tried to find the true 1st printing of Nancy Drew #6, The Secret of Red Gate Farm. The Riddle Club series is the series listed on the 2nd page of post-text ads in the very first printing of Red Gate Farm. This fact drew my attention to the series. The ad states:

Here is an ingenious a series of books for little folks as ever appeared since "Alice in Wonderland." The idea of the Riddle Books is this, three girls and three boys decide to form a riddle club. Each book is full of the adventures of these youngsters, but as an added attraction each book is filled with a lot of the best riddles you ever heard.

The idea of club members telling each other riddles is intriguing. There are many, many riddles in each book. Some of them were easy for me, while others were difficult. A child could have a lot of fun reading these books and trying to solve the riddles before the answers are given. Each time a riddle is asked, the club members take turns guessing and almost always get into discussions, sometimes heated, about what the answer could be.

I had trouble getting into the first book, for several reasons. Part of it was just me and that I was very busy at work and wasn't sure which series I wanted to read next (see my first post in this blog). The other reason is that I had trouble keeping all six characters straight. I gave up on that issue and forged my way through the book. By the second book, I began to see several of the characters as different from the others. I do believe that the author did a better job of exploring the characters' personalities as the series progressed. By the fifth book, Polly, Artie, Ward, Fred, and Margy were all distinctly different characters in my mind. Jess was the only one that didn't stand out. As I begin volume 6, Jess still doesn't stand out, but that's okay.

The series has a lot of humor in it, more than many other series do. I feel that humor is an important part of any series book. I find that the ones that I enjoy more do have more humor in them than the ones that I enjoy less. Book 5 is hilarious. I laughed out loud quite a few times. At one point I laughed uncontrollably. I won't try to describe the scene, but the antics of Ward (the obligatory fat friend) and of Artie (the bookworm who continually recites everything he has learned from books) are priceless.

So look for the Riddle Club section shortly . . .

1 comment:

Big Daddio said...

Hello, Jennifer...

Thank you for your outstanding website--you've done an amazing job! It's the one "series books" website that I've got on my menu bar (the rest are buried in my bookmarks).

I've got a HUGE favor to ask you, which is: Would you be willing to share with me hi-res versions of some of the dust jacket scans you have on your website? They would be just for my own personal use, not to be distributed or shared.

A little bit of background...

I'm not a die-hard collector--I'm basically collecting some of the old series books for the girls in my family. My wife and daughters loved the old girls series books (we had 2, 3 or 4 books in lots of different series that I had found in old used book stores years ago). But, now that I've got granddaughters getting old enough to start enjoying them, I decided (thanks to eBay) to try and fill out the series we have--and in the process (mainly due to your website) have discovered all kinds of wonderful other series that we never knew existed.

I got started on this effort about five months ago. I was trying to find something nice for my wife for her birthday, and asked her what some of her favorite books were. She said a couple of her favorites were Judy Bolton and Trixie Belden--and when I looked on our bookshelves I found we had a few Judy Boltons and about five tattered Whitman Trixie Beldens. So, I got on eBay and was able to get a nice set of TB paperbacks for her. Since then (again because of your website), I've discovered other series, such as Connie Blair, Penny Parker, etc., etc. that I've started collecting for the girls. And, actually, I think I've overdone it a little--I'm in the doghouse with my wife for buying so many lately.

I've been trying to do this economically. So, I've mostly purchased good readable copies with no dust jackets for the girls to enjoy--and have been making our own dust jackets (from the scans on your site)--mainly because having some kind of cover art adds a bit of magic to the books and makes them even more inviting.

My homemade dust jackets do a nice job of dressing up our little library, but the actual cover art images print pretty chunky. And, that's why I was hoping you might possibly be willing to share some of your hi-res scans with me (again, for my personal use only, not to be posted or distributed anywhere).

I appreciate you considering this.

You can email me at: "bob", then the "at" symbol, then "nycity.com". (It's kind of ridiculous isn't it that we have to be so cryptic with our email addresses.)

Thanks,

Bob Craig
Sonora, California

P.S. -- I would be happy to send you some CDs in a prepaid self-addressed envelope so as not to incur any costs on your part.