Sunday, March 1, 2009

eBay's Big Announcement Is Coming

I had previously reported that eBay has a big announcement for us. This has been confirmed in eBay's town hall from February 26. AuctionBytes posted a summary of the town hall in its blog. Ina Steiner wrote, "eBay said it would be making some changes to give sellers more visibility into DSRs."

While it is good that eBay will give sellers additional insight into who is leaving which DSRs, it is only going to help large sellers. When I sold, I only received one or two feedbacks per day, so I could usually pinpoint who left me the low ratings. From what has been described, eBay will let sellers see how the ratings are different for international transactions versus domestic, with some other variations thrown in.

Ina Steiner also wrote that eBay "would announce additional changes affecting sellers next month."

I can't wait. This is not sarcasm; I really am curious as to what eBay has in store for us. I doubt that it will be altogether good, so I am eagerly anticipating this "big announcement." It ought to be very interesting. The announcement will come as soon as the next few days or as late as the end of the month.

My expectation is that eBay will make an announcement about free listings in the very near future for at least some items. EBay always tests its new features on the international sites, and eBay just announced free listings on eBay.UK.

Here is the text of the announcement from eBay.UK:
From 12th March 2009, there's no Insertion Fee if you’re a private seller and you list your item in the auction-style format with a starting price of up to 99p (eBay.co.uk) or €1.49 (eBay.ie). Final Value Fee rates are also changing.

Fees for business-registered sellers using the auction-style format will be unchanged.

Pay only when you sell

In 2008 we made it free to include a picture for your listing. We’re continuing our commitment to moving the cost of selling on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie away from front end fees so that the majority of fees are paid only when you successfully sell an item.

Learn more about the new zero Insertion Fee on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie.
The final value fees for free listings on eBay.UK will be 10%, which is a significant increase for low-priced items. I have no doubt that a variation of this new policy will soon be implemented on the U.S. eBay site.

What will this mean? The result is that more garbage will be listed on eBay for low prices. After all, if the seller only pays when the item sells, all sorts of worthless items will be listed. Yay! If eBay.com does this, I will be unable to find anything to buy but I will have a bigger selection! Okay, that was sarcasm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The glass is not perpetually half empty. Having to pay no fees up front is not simply an excuse to put junk up for bid, but a reason to clean out one's closet, so to speak, and put its contents on eBay, some of them perhaps valuable unbeknownst to the seller. It does not take long to scroll through items that one is not interested in, and, if the increase in those also means that a few rarities will find their way to the marketplace, who are we to complain?

Jennifer White said...

My comments are based on my experiences as a buyer of Nancy Drew books. I already have to exclude large numbers of sellers in order to find the vintage books that I seek.

Believe me, it will be worse for buyers of Nancy Drew books if listings become free. It is a pain when one seller posts 200 Nancy Drew books at the same time and all of them are brand-new books. It does take away from the quality of my searches.

I used to love eBay. Even as changes occurred two years ago that I did not totally like, I felt that eBay was still good. I was positive. Even with the changes from one year ago, I was still positive. It is only since August that I have begun not to like eBay as much. It is since September and October when my searches became cluttered that my dissatisfaction gradually increased.

You posted anonymously. Who are you? Your comments mean nothing when you are not willing to back them up with a name. At least sign your first name or something. As always, the anonymous posters have an agenda.

Jennifer White said...

I never say "half empty." I always say "half full." That is my outlook on life. I sincerely hope that if eBay goes to free listings that it will turn out for the best, but somehow, eBay's recent changes have all been bad. Why should I think this one will be any different? Why get my hopes up?

EBay's pages are now hanging for me when I do searches. I am getting really frustrated about my inability to run searches these days. It is now rather difficult for me to use eBay. That is why more listings will cause me problems. I have a new computer, and it does not work well on eBay. It is eBay's fault!

Sometimes things do not work out the way we want, and sometimes it is best to be realistic.