Thursday, August 7, 2008

Scarcity of Lavell and Other Series Books

As I mentioned in a previous post, it took me around three years to build the complete set of the Girls Scouts books by Edith Lavell in hardcover with dust jacket. I restricted my purchases to books with dust jackets, or I would likely have had the complete set sooner. When I bought my Lavell Girl Scouts books, I bought them solely because of the dust jackets, so I paid no attention to the books themselves. In the past week, I began scanning the dust jackets for my site. For the first time, I took a good look at the books. I was surprised when I realized how many variations there are in the books. There are four different scenes pictured on the front covers of the books that I have, and I also have five different colors of bindings.

One could even have fun trying to collect all of the different binding variations for this series. I have no idea whether all titles are available with each of the different illustrations on the cover or whether all titles are available in all of the different colors of binding. These books are so hard to find that I doubt that I will ever know, nor do I plan to buy additional books unless I upgrade a dust jacket. Several of my dust jackets are quite tattered. Even though I restricted my purchases to books with dust jackets, I had to settle for tattered dust jackets.

The Lavell books are very hard to find. There are very few people who want the books; yet, there are not enough books for even the few people who want them. I have an extra dust jacket for one of the Lavell Girl Scouts books; in fact, it is for #1 in the series. It was purchased in with a lot that contained a number of various juvenile series dust jackets that had long since been removed from the books. I want to purchase the book to mate with the dust jacket so that I can sell it. I'm going to have more luck selling the dust jacket if it is actually on a book and can get a little more for it. I have been checking the listings for several months, and I still cannot find a book to mate with the dust jacket. I thought it would be easy just to get the bare book for the dust jacket, especially for #1 in the series!

It is because of my experience in collecting series books such as the ones by Edith Lavell that I scoff at all of the listings in which sellers claim that their books are rare. I have already stated that the only rare Nancy Drew book is the very first book in the very first printing with the intact dust jacket. It is laughable how many sellers label their Nancy Drew books as RARE. There is no comparison between the more scarce Nancy Drew books and truly scarce books like these early series books.

Let's take a Nancy Drew book that is scarce like the 1932 text picture cover of The Clue in the Diary, which went through only one printing. Normally, it sells for around $40.00 or so. It does come up for sale at least every month or so. One sold in a listing within the last two weeks. It is scarce because many people want it. Books are considered scarce when the supply is less than the demand. However, the 1932 text PC of Diary is not rare as most sellers claim because it does consistently come up for sale.

I have a few Kingsport Press file copies of Nancy Drew picture cover books from the 1960s and 1970s. The file copies indicate that 10,000 copies were bound in a single print run. We do not know for certain how many copies of the 1932 text PC of Diary were bound, but it was likely the standard 10,000. Many of the original copies did not survive, but it is likely that there are at least several thousand of them still in existence. Considering this information, does the book sound that rare? It isn't. With a little sleuthing it can be found on eBay and for under $20.00. I have done it . . . more than once. It has to do with being observant, which I will be discussing in several future posts.

Certain Nancy Drew books such as the 1932 text PC of Diary are only scarce because there are so many Nancy Drew collectors. Most Nancy Drew books are quite abundant; the problem is that the number of people who want them is also abundant. There may be thousands of the previously mentioned book, but there are potentially thousands of people who also want it.

Sellers who misuse the word RARE to describe many or all of their books are doing everyone a disservice. For the past week, I have struggled with whether I should bid on a certain book. I finally decided not to bid, and the listing did not sell. The seller described the book as RARE and as a first edition. Needless to say, RARE was in the usual capital letters. That book has sold without a jacket in the last few weeks; additionally, it is not even the first printing. That seller, along with several others, has an obnoxious habit of describing a large percentage of his or her books as RARE. I am so put off by the misuse of the word RARE that I decided not to purchase that particular book. It will come up for sale again in the very near future. I can wait.

I do not believe that it is worth the risk of offending some buyers in order to capitalize on the naivety of new buyers. Yes, using the word RARE will get newbie bidders to bid larger amounts. What if later those buyers figure out that the books are not RARE? What about people like me who decide not to bid because the word offends us? Is it worth it?

My current policy is that I will not use RARE to describe any book, and I will no longer use scarce. Scarce takes up too many characters in the title; besides, if the book is scarce, aren't bidders going to realize it? All sellers need to do is provide clear pictures showing the entire outside of the book and describe the characteristics of the book. Is that too difficult?

3 comments:

Jack C said...

Jennifer-
I wholeheartedly agree with your comments here. As an Ebay buyer (I rarely sell), I have learned the hard way that I MUST be knowlegable regarding the series I am bidding on. Sellers all too often do not have any idea what they are selling. They assume because the copyright page has one date listed, it is a first printing. Yellow PC Nancy Drews w/ 1930's and 40's printing dates are obviously NOT firsts.
This week, I found 11 Kay Tracey books with dustjackets published by Cupples and Leon. Their starting bids were 24.99. The seller did not say they were firsts, just very good tight clean white paged books. I had seven days to check out your site to educate myself on printings, explore on line book dealer prices, and decide if I was interested in these. I decided I was, but I determined in my heart I would not go above my high bid to win the books. I won four of the eleven. Most were early titles, and those were either not bid on by anyone else, or sold below 35.00, my high bid. The majority sold for 40-45 dollars each.
What did I learn? As I collect other titles in this series, which I undoubtedly will due to the Mildred Wirt Benson collection, they can be won at a reasonable price. I also need to be patient, and not break my budget to buy a series book title. The opportunity will rise again.
I will watch the next few weeks to determine how rare Kay Tracey thick dustjacketed Cupples and Leon books are. And I will watch prices.
In the meantime, I will read my four titles, and enjoy-
My word of advice- Do your research homework!
Jack

Jennifer White said...

Jack, you are so right! It is always a good idea not to bid extreme amounts before seeing what the normal prices are and to be cautious. Most of us do have a budget.

I have not watched Kay Tracey prices carefully for a while, but I checked my records. It looks like I had to pay around $30.00 to $50.00 for each dust-jacketed Cupples and Leon edition. There were just a couple that I was able to purchase for far less. It all depends upon how many other people want the books at the same time you do.

The higher-numbered titles, like #12-18, will usually cost the most in the Cupples and Leon editions. Very early copies which are thick with glossy frontispieces and intact dust jackets listing to around six or so titles will also cost more. Also, the three titles that were not reprinted by Doubleday/Books, Inc. - Swaying Curtains, Shadow on the Door, and Forbidden Tower - will usually cost a little more. That's what I recall from when I was actively purchasing the books.

Lenora said...

I found that when buying Kay Tracey books, it was beneficial to search for the individual title, the "author's" name, and Kay Tracy (very commonly misspelled). To me, and apparently to many sellers, the dust jackets and especially the bare books don't seem to clearly advertise that the books are part of the Kay Tracey series.

Using this method, I've been able to purchase several quite reasonably, including #18 in dust jacket, published by Cupples & Leon,for $4.99. It's tedious, but this is one area where saved searches are your friend.