Monday, November 16, 2015

Bret King #3 Range Rodeo and #4 Rawhide Gap

In Bret King #3, The Range Rodeo Mystery, the Tovar Range Rodeo is to be revived.  Both Rimrock Ranch and nearby Carrington Ranch have proposed prime locations for the rodeo.  Soon, the Rimrock crew realizes that Carrington will stop at nothing to win the competition for the rodeo site.

Basically, this story is about sabotage like so many modern Nancy Drew books.  Since I had just read the tenth Nancy Drew Diaries book, this stood out.  In contrast, these older series books that feature sabotage do that type of plot so well, making the story very interesting.  It's how the modern books should do it, but instead, they make it bland and uninteresting.

On page 46, a large group of visitors go back to the ranch for cake and refreshments.  I've often wondered how the mothers in these series deal with all these unexpected visitors arriving to consume large amounts of food.  It's not like they know ahead of time that all these people will arrive, yet somehow, they always have cakes and other desserts available.

The rodeo occurs in most of two chapters.  I skimmed a lot of those chapters, since I wasn't interested in the detailed descriptions of each event.

Benny's songs annoy me.  In fact, the songs annoy me while Benny's pet expression "gee my wheeze" no longer does.  I am now able to ignore "gee my wheeze" like it's regular conversation.

Jinx is a strong character in these books.  She is sixteen and makes decisions on her own, decisions that drive parts of the plot forward.  I like seeing a strong girl in a boys' series.  In fact, for both boys' and girls' series, I prefer seeing a mixture of both genders helping to drive the plot forward.

I greatly enjoyed this book.

In Bret King #4, The Mystery of Rawhide Gap, the boys plan to stay in the old ghost town of Rawhide Gap to help Jack Dullion look for proof that his great-great-great uncle did not commit a stagecoach robbery.  While in the ghost town, the boys become aware of a plot against a nearby government site and suspect that some of the tourists might be connected to the plot.

I smiled when sabotage was mentioned on page 10.  In these old books, the story is so creative that the sabotage is usually very interesting.

I love the strong girls in this series.  On page 121, the girls' tent has collapsed, and they try to set it back up without asking the boys to help them.

"Gee my wheeze" now reads like any other text to me.  It's like when George uses "hypers" in the Nancy Drew books.  I now do not find "gee my wheeze" to be even slightly annoying. 

This is an excellent book.  I read it quickly and enjoyed every bit of it.

No comments: