Thursday, June 11, 2015

Biff Brewster #2 Chinese Ring and #3 Hawaiian Sea Hunt

I read the first Biff Brewster book, Brazilian Gold Mine Mystery, several years ago.  I intended to read through all 13 books, but I lost interest.  I overall enjoyed the first book but not enough to want to continue.  Earlier this year, I tried to read the first book again, once again intending to read all 13 books.  I couldn't get through the book, because I remembered the villain and was uninterested in reading the text again.  I then decided to read Cherry Ames.  Once I finished Cherry Ames, I decided to try to read Biff Brewster again, mainly because Cherry Ames didn't go that well.  Since I had just completed a lackluster reading experience, I felt that the time was perfect for reading another series that might prove to be difficult.  This time I didn't make the mistake of trying to read the first book again, which is why I don't have a review of it.

In Biff Brewster #2, Mystery of the Chinese Ring, a rock, with a Chinese ring attached to it, is thrown through Biff's bedroom window.  Biff wonders if the ring has anything to do with his upcoming trip to Burma to visit his uncle.  When Biff arrives in Burma, he learns that his uncle flew into China a few weeks ago and has not returned!  Biff and his new friend, Chuba, journey into China in search of Biff's uncle.

This book reminds me a lot of the Rick Brant books featuring Chahda.  The adventure is similar, and Chuba's personality is similar to Chahda's.  Since this book reminds me of Rick Brant, I greatly enjoyed reading it.

I grew bored around the climax of the book.  I saw parts of it as somewhat ridiculous.  For instance, Biff's Uncle Charlie has been prisoner for a month; yet, he has cigarettes and lights one.  Also, Chuba doesn't speak English that well but he can make statements like "little brook fed by spring."

In Biff Brewster #3, Hawaiian Sea Hunt Mystery, Biff and his family travel to Hawaii.  A scientist has disappeared, and Mr. Brewster fears that someone is after a valuable cache of Cesium.  Biff and his father hope to find Dr. Weber and the clue to the location of the Cesium before it is too late.

On page 50, Mr. Brewster concludes that Biff is in danger because the villains believe Biff knows as much as Dr. Weber did.  Mr. Brewster then decides that he can't tell Biff the secret, because it would endanger Biff.  This reasoning bewilders me.  Mr. Brewster doesn't tell Biff the secret to keep him safe, but he believes that the villains already think Biff knows.  What difference does it make?  As is typical of series books, Biff is soon told the secret.

On page 93, a bomb is found on the boat.  Mr. Brewster is certain it will be okay for him to inspect the bomb because he knows it won't go off.  Wow.  Mr. Brewster has clearly never visited Nancy Drew in River Heights, where bombs always go off and usually rather quickly.  Mr. Brewster seems a bit overconfident and to be lacking good judgment.  On the other hand, the bomb doesn't go off, proving Mr. Brewster to be correct in his assumption. 

I enjoyed both of these books.

No comments: