Monday, December 5, 2011

November 2011 Sales on Bonanza

November 2011 was my best month in the nearly three years that I have had my Jennifer's Series Books booth on Bonanza. Whether I quantify my November sales by the amount I paid in fees, by the dollar amount in transactions, by the number of transactions, or by the number items sold, November was the very best month I have ever had on Bonanza.

I sold a total of 158 items in 44 transactions. By series, this is what I sold.

Nancy Drew - 94
Dana Girls - 19
Trixie Belden - 18
Hardy Boys - 10
Cherry Ames - 4
Kay Tracey - 4
Peggy Lane - 4
Judy Bolton - 3
Connie Blair - 1
Zorro - 1

By dollar amount, this is what I sold.

up to $4.99 - 51
$5.00 to $9.99 - 63
$10.00 to $14.99 - 13
$15.00 to $19.99 - 9
$20.00 to $24.99 - 8
$25.00 to $29.99 - 2
$34.99 - 5
$39.99 - 1
$49.99 - 2
$54.99 - 1
$69.99 - 1
$249.99 - 1
$349.99 - 1

Most of my sales were Nancy Drew books, and unlike usual, the types of Nancy Drew books that sold were of almost all varieties that I have available for sale. I sold early books, books with dust jackets, original text picture covers, revised text picture covers, library editions, softcover editions, and tweed books without jackets.

The breakdown by payment method is as follows.

PayPal - 21 (47.7%)
Google Checkout - 6 (13.7%)
Checkout by Amazon - 17 (38.6%)

For the first time ever, fewer than half of the payments came through PayPal. PayPal's slogan is, "PayPal. The world's most-loved way to pay and get paid." Are we sure about that? Buyers are now choosing other methods rather often.

I commented in a previous post that I was not certain of the source of my November sales. For the first half of the month, my sales came primarily from direct traffic, from which I could not determine the exact preceding source. For the second half of the month, my sales came primarily from my website and blogs. I have to assume that a large percentage of my total sales for the first half of the month were from my website and blogs.

Bonanza's page rank is now a 5. Back when the site was Bonanzle, its page rank was either 4 or 5. The page rank was 0 in the first few months after the site's name changed from Bonanzle to Bonanza, which is why traffic was so bad at that time.

I have also checked my Bonanza booth's page rank, which is now a 3. This is very good for a booth on an alternative site that supposedly does not get much traffic. For comparison, this blog also has a page rank of 3, which it has had for years. My website, series-books.com, has a page rank of 4.

Page rank is Google's assessment of a website's importance, and the page rank goes from 0 up to 10. The difference between a page rank of 3 and a page rank of 4 is exponential and similar to how the Richter scale works with earthquakes. Most individuals who have a website will never be able to attain a page rank above around 5. Page ranks above 5 tend to be the large commercial sites.

I checked some current page ranks to show how some of the really popular sites rank.

eBid.net (a competitor to Bonanza) - 4
eCrater.com (a competitor to Bonanza) - 6
Alibris.com - 7
eBay.com - 7
Target.com - 7
Walmart.com - 7
Abebooks.com - 8
Amazon.com - 9
CNN.com - 9
Facebook.com - 9
Google.com - 9
Twitter.com - 9
Yahoo.com - 9

The transaction rate is increasing on Bonanza. Individual sellers may not necessarily see a difference, but from what I am able to determine, Bonanza's sales volume is up greatly from what it once was. Anyone who has regular sales on Bonanza can get an idea of what Bonanza's overall sales volume is, since our transactions have transaction numbers. Bonanza assigns the transaction numbers in sequential order.

My transactions for November 2010 have numbers ranging from 1045729 on November 3 up to 1127817 on November 30. Those transactions occurred over a 28 day range. Subtracting the numbers and dividing by 28 yields an average of 2931.7 transactions per day for the entire site during November 2010.

My transactions for November 2011 have numbers ranging from 2122973 on November 1 up to 2257103 on November 30. Those transactions occurred over a 30 day range. Subtracting the numbers and dividing by 30 yields an average of 4471 transactions per day during November 2011. This is a 52.5% increase over one year ago.

Of course, this is just a rough estimate by someone who does not have the actual data. There can be no way for me to determine what the actual sales rate is for Bonanza, but I can tell by the transaction numbers that the rate is definitely increasing. I find it encouraging to know that the site is gaining ground.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Jennifer,

I have a question that I thought others may have as well. Today I had my first Bonanza sale using Amazon Checkout. The order is showing in Seller Central in Amazon, but I don't see that I have received the money; although the email notification I received says I "earned" money, my balance is zero. Is this normal for Amazon Checkout? Are we supposed to ship the item before we receive the money? If so, this is unlike the other payments such as Paypal and Google Checkout. Thanks for your help as always!

Jennifer said...

Amazon does hold your funds at first. I find that they begin to get faster as more orders come in and get shipped. Once you confirm on Amazon that you have shipped the order, Amazon may release the postage amount to you. However, since this is your first order, you may not see even that amount for two weeks.

I have been getting regular orders through Amazon, and they are releasing the postage to me quickly and then holding the rest of the money for a certain amount of time. I'm not sure if the hold is still as long as two weeks for the rest of the money. I am getting small and large deposits into my bank account from Amazon every few days, so it is a bit confusing trying to reconcile the amounts.

What is great about PayPal is that we get the money immediately. Google sends the money after just a day or so. Unfortunately, eBay/PayPal seems to be moving in the direction of the Amazon model. eBay/PayPal is now holding all payments for people in Europe, and usually any features that are tested in Europe come to us the next year.