Friday, March 4, 2011

More Thick Library Editions

I found the rest of my thick library editions. I have four of them.  Three of them are Nancy Drew books, and one of them is a Dana Girls book.



All four books are thick with a glossy frontispiece illustration. 



The blue Hollow Oak has pulp paper that has deeply yellowed.  These bindings are not as old as the one mentioned in my previous post on this subject.  Lilac Inn and the blue Hollow Oak came from the same library.  Both books have "date due" dates from 1985 to 1995.  Hollow Oak has a sticker from the bindery which is stamped November, 1980.


The red Hollow Oak has no dates, but the binding design is very similar to some books I have that were bound in the 1960s and 1970s, so I assume that it dates back to that general time.


Lone Tree Cottage also has no dates, but the bindery was Hoag & Sons' Book Bindery, Inc. from Springport, Michigan.  I have several books from Hoag & Sons that date back to the 1950s and 1960s, so Lone Tree Cottage was likely bound during that time.

It is quite unusual to run across any library editions that were rebound from thick books with glossy frontispiece or glossy internal illustrations.

3 comments:

sax player said...

Hi,

I saw your page on the Nancy Drew geometric and patterned bindings (found here: http://www.series-books.com/nancydrew/patterns.html and here: http://www.series-books.com/nancydrew/geomdesigns.html)

Do you know if the Hardy Boys books were library bound with a similar pattern? I have the chance to buy one and can show you the pictures but it won't let me post it as a comment. The book is Mystery at Devil's Paw.

~Michael

Jennifer White said...

The Hardy Boys books would have been bound in similar patterns. Pretty much anything and everything is possible with any series book title with respect to library bindings. I have mostly avoided collecting the Hardy Boys library editions, so I have not paid attention to what is available. However, they most likely exist in the same wide variety as Nancy Drew.

sax player said...

Ok, thanks!