Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Buyer Confusion on Nancy Drew #36

This time the question was for me. A prospective buyer asked, "I'm concerned about the disparity between this cover and the multipic endpapers, this looks like a very old dj (which is great) w/ a newer edition, especially w/ the listing to The Golden Pavilion which was, I think, after the sixties rewrites. Can you help me out on this one?"

This is the listing:

Nancy Drew #12 Message in Hollow Oak Carolyn Keene HCDJ


It bothers me to get comments like this. I am not sure whether they just need an explanation or whether they think I have misrepresented the book.

First, Golden Pavilion was published in 1959, which is not after the 1960s. My copy of Hollow Oak has a jacket that lists to Golden Pavilion, which means that it was printed in 1959. According to Farah's 12th edition, the book and jacket match the points for the 1959B-52 printing. This is not a mismatch, and there is no disparity.

The blue tweed books went out of print in 1962, so a blue tweed book cannot be from years later, if that is what the buyer thought. The blue multi endpapers were used on all original text books until they were revised, with the exception of #35-38 which had blue multi endpapers but were never revised. Additionally, the older picture covers for the revised books, #1-4 and #6, did have the blue multi endpapers. The blue multi endpapers were used on at least some books until when they were revised or went through a cover art change in the 1970s.

Aside from #1-4 and #6, all blue multi endpaper books have the original text (#35-38 do have the original 20 chapter text). This might be the first time that I have found someone who thought that the blue multi endpapers likely indicate a revised text book. The presence of blue multi endpapers is more likely to indicate that a book has the original text rather than indicate that it does not have the original text.

Hollow Oak was not revised until 1972, so all printings of Hollow Oak from 1935 through early 1972 have the original text.

All blue tweed books have the original text except for just a few printings of #1-4 and 6. Those are the only blue tweed books in which a buyer needs to worry about which text the book has. Even in those cases, the vast majority of tweed books that surface will have the original text. It is actually quite difficult to find #4 and #6 in blue tweed books with the revised text.

This is a battle that will never be won. We have quite a few people who are confused about formats and must not be visiting the several websites out there that explain formats. Just do a Google search for "Nancy Drew formats," and you will find the information you need.

I remain convinced that the popularity of the Nancy Drew Applewood facsimile editions is largely due to people who cannot figure out which of the older books have the original text, so they pay high prices for the Applewoods so they can be guaranteed to receive a book with the original text. For those who disagree, remember that someone once commented in this blog that it was too confusing to figure out which old books have the original text, so she found it easier to buy the Applewoods.

5 comments:

stratomiker said...

It's all very confusing and new collectors get really confused. I spent years trying to find Judy Bolton books with the revised wrap DJs that I later learned didn't even exist because not all of them got revised. It takes years to learn it all, many years.

The guides can help, but they can be misleading too, and there are many formats and certain books never put into them. I still have a boxful I sent to aguidemaker in the late eighties for review, and they still are not listed. Most were books found in Canada with formats that were like combinations - say a format 7-8, and some unusual DJs. If they didn't fit into the scheme, they didn't get put in.

I spent years in Canada and there are some books you find only there, like the 50s blue velvet Danas and some unusual DJs on Hardys and Drews. One unusual Hardy has recently been made into a 'true first edition' and had its value pumped up to $15,000 when all it really is, is a variant of the first of that title sent to Canada to avoid mail order across-the-border problems. The back of the DJ is different, not having the uSA version with the mail order coupon.

Canadian issues can be interesting and it's a good idea to keep watch on eBay Canada's listings for unusual books.

Mike

rachel said...

I've just started looking on Bonanzle and the prices of the books are fantastic! I love how you don't have to bid. (and lose like I often do) The only thing I would like is if you could 'watch' an item like on ebay- or else how do you keep track while thinking about buying? Anyway, I hope some buyers will consider shipping to Australia.

rachel said...

Oops! I mean sellers will consider shipping!

Jennifer White said...

I think there might be a place where you can watch something.

...

I just looked, and there are two choices: "save for later" and "add to wish list." These appear at the end of the item description where it says "advanced details." I know that "add to wish list" adds the item to your profile page. The "save for later" is probably like a watch list, but I've never tried it so I really don't know.

I am willing to ship internationally, but buyers have to ask me what shipping is, which I know is a pain. I just shipped a book to Australia, and the cost was $15.00, so I assume that is going to be the cost for a single book under the current rates.

rachel said...

No, not a pain at all. I prefer to ask beforehand as it helps determine whether I buy the book or not. Some sellers charge ridiculous amounts for postage and some are very reasonable. I think about $13 US is about normal. Thanks for the advise re bonanzle too, will have a better look.