Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Buyer Confusion on Nancy Drew #28

Sometimes I grow weary of seeing the same types of questions over and over in the eBay listings. By continuing this series of posts, maybe a few new people will learn more about collecting.

Set of NANCY DREW MYSTERY STORIES - 1-50 - Vintage! Item #260441758400

The seller states, "I personally collected these books since the 1960s." Just this simple statement gives some important information. While it is possible that older books could have been purchased, most people probably purchased new books as children. It is reasonable to conclude that the offered books were likely printed during the 1960s.

The seller gives the copyright dates of all of the books, so it is possible to figure out which text the book has. Remember that any Nancy Drew book with a copyright date of 1956 or before must contain the original 25 chapter text. Also remember that volumes 35 and up never had 25 chapter texts in the first place.
Question: me again, you placed 1934 as the publication of the broken locket. is that when the book that you're selling is published? or did you just write publishing date of the original edition? when are the majority of these books really published?

Answer: Hi, I will check shipping to the Philippines and get back to you. The publication year for each and every book I have listed is cited inside the book. I have not made up any dates. Some of the books printed in the late 1950s and 60s were edited by Grosset & Dunlap with updated text. Many of the books were published before the 1960s when I started collecting them. It may be helpful for you to note which of the books carry the blue end pages, as these preceded the later white ones. Sincerely, Amanda
I believe the buyer is using "published" in place of "printed." The seller stated that the books were purchased beginning from the 1960s, and I can tell from the photos that most of the books are from the 1960s.

I would say that nearly all of volumes 1 through 40 in the above picture were printed during the 1960s. I am not certain about Lilac Inn since it looks like it could be from the 1970s. The books for volume 41 and up look more like the 1970s, although one or two books from the 1960s may be in that group.

I know this because Nancy Drew picture covers from the 1960s tend to have spines in varying shades of yellow. The spines are prone to fading. The lettering on the spines of Nancy Drew books from the 1960s is larger than in the 1970s and is of mixed case rather than all upper case. There are exceptions as I have stated in previous posts, but these characteristics hold true for the vast majority of the books, which makes for an easy way to narrow down the age of a picture cover edition.

Also notice how thick some of the books are, such as Broken Locket. A couple of printings of the early picture cover editions from 1962 and 1963 are quite thick, so those books definitely date from 1962 or 1963.

4 comments:

A.T. said...

I kind of love this post because I get similarly eye-rolly about some of the things that people ask me, but I have nowhere to vent that.

I remember selling a complete set of NDs once and someone emailed me to tell me that my listing was nice and all, but she was looking for a complete set of them from the 1960's only.

When I explained that the "classic" series was still going until the end of the 70's, she indicated that she still wasn't quite sure about having books from the 70's in her collection. I can't recall how that exchange ended, but it was a little odd.

Jennifer White said...

You can always come here and vent if you want. I always enjoy reading the comments, and I'm sure my readers do as well. We've all had some interesting questions at one time or another. I have also had some interesting exchanges with sellers, who just don't get it.

A.T. said...

Thanks for the welcome, I really enjoy your blog.

I'm a little frustrated with ebay itself these days, I have no idea why they keep changing everything.

Also, I'm annoyed that they insist on saving all your info from a listing whether you click the "sell similar" button or not.

I had listed a gift card previously and offered free shipping because it only required a stamp. Then I listed a huge set of books (using the sell tab, NOT the "sell similar" button), carefully put in all the weight info in the shipping area and didn't notice that the "free shipping" button was clicked from the prior, wholly unrelated listing.

I didn't pick up on this until after I had bids on the item so now I'm stuck swallowing shipping costs for a 25-lb. box!

Paula said...

Okay, talk about funny/weird exchanges, I have to share this one with you all! All communication was through ebay messages.

Re: Auction for a Nancy Drew PC Broken Locket, picture shows only the front cover, the man with pipe picture cover.

Me: Can you tell me please how many chapters are in this book? Also, what is the last Nancy Drew book listed on the back cover? Thanks!

Seller: 25 chapters

Me: Thank you for your reply to my first question. I had a follow up question concerning the last Nancy Drew book listed on the back cover - can you tell me what that is please, and also if there are any internal book lists, what is the last Nancy Drew title listed there? Thank you!

Seller: THERE ARE NONE LISTED

(Okay, now he's shouting...)
Me: Isn't there a list of books on the back cover? There usually is. Sorry to keep asking but this is important to me.

Seller: NO LIST NOWHERE

Hmmmmm, no list, nowhere... I guess it's a book club edition? I give up... :D