Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Betty Gordon/Ruth Fielding Poll Results

Here are the results to the Betty Gordon/Ruth Fielding poll:

...................................................................

Do you like Betty Gordon or Ruth Fielding better?

Betty Gordon (have read only Betty Gordon) - 0 votes - 0%

Betty Gordon (have read both series) - 8 votes - 33.3%

Ruth Fielding (have read only Ruth Fielding) - 13 votes - 54.2%

Ruth Fielding (have read both series) - 3 votes - 12.5%

...................................................................

Since the Betty Gordan and Ruth Fielding series were cross-promoted and are generally collected by the same group of people, this poll's purpose was to determine whether people prefer one series over the other.

I can draw several conclusions. First, more people collect Ruth Fielding than Betty Gordon. This is probably because the Ruth Fielding books are much easier to find and because Mildred Wirt Benson wrote some of the Ruth Fielding books, making them popular among Nancy Drew collectors.

Second, most people have only read the Ruth Fielding books, probably for the above reasons.

Third, of the 11 respondents who have read both series, 72.7% like Betty Gordon better and 27.3% like Ruth Fielding better. What this means to me is that the Betty Gordon series probably is a little better overall than the Ruth Fielding series since people seem to prefer it when they have read both series.

I have read both series, and I like the Betty Gordon series better. I do have to admit, though, that the last five to ten Ruth Fielding books are about as good as the Betty Gordon series. The reason I do not like the Ruth Fielding series better is because the first half of the Ruth Fielding series is kind of bland. Those books are worth reading in order to get the full story of the Ruth Fielding series, but they are a bit boring at times.

4 comments:

melodious b. said...

I've read some of both series, but I've read a lot more Ruth Fielding because I like the books a lot better. I'm not a Mildred Wirt Benson fan, and the Ruth Fielding books she wrote aren't among my favorites.

For me, it's about a couple of different things:

I think Ruth Fielding is better-defined as a character. I don't have any sense of Betty Gordon as a person.

Ruth Fielding's career sort of fills me with joy. The build from her being an amateur writer of screenplays to a movie mogul is relatively slow and nuance for a series book, and she really is a career woman in a different was from the heroines of the other series books I've read.

Jennifer White said...

I'm pretty sure that other people have also mentioned Ruth Fielding's career as a big reason for liking that series. For whatever reason, I'm neutral on Ruth's career, and it has no effect on me. I tend to be more drawn into books that have lots of adventure and mystery, which is why the Beverly Gray series is one of my all-time favorites.

Would anybody else like to comment? I am very interested in reading about why people like either Ruth Fielding or Betty Gordon better. We all respond differently to different books, and what appeals to one person may not appeal to another.

beautifulshell said...

I have to say, I own a couple of Ruth Fielding books, and I don't think I've made it through the first yet. I'm not sure if it was the characters that put me off or whether I wasn't interested enough in general at the time, but I'll have to try again.

That said, I love Betty Gordon - I think in large part because of her friends and other comrades. She has enough of her own spunk, but doesn't always need to go at it alone.

john said...

I have/am reading the available Ruth Fielding and Betty Gordon books available from Gutenberg.org on my Kindle (Amazon's ebook reader). I like Ruth Fielding better because I feel her characters and sitation better defined. However I do enjoy the Betty Gordon books as well.

What I find interesting is the roots of Nancy Drew and the Dana Girls in both book series. It is clear that without Ruth or Betty, Nancy Drew would be be different indeed.