Tuesday, April 28, 2009

eBay Update - Search and the New Dispute Process

I had been wondering why I have still been allowed to use the old eBay search, and it is the end of April. I found out why today:

***eBay Stores upgrade; news about searching***
Almost all eBay buyers and sellers are now using eBay’s new search technology. We recently announced the older technology would be retired in April of this year, but the date is now extended to early June.
Okay, so I have a little over a month to go. This is fine with me. I assume that they found something wrong with it. Why else would eBay suspend the change? According to Ina Steiner, people who use eBay Motors have been complaining about the slowness of the new search. I already know that I will not like it, so the longer eBay postpones the change, the better for me.

I stated in a comment recently that I intend to sell some books on eBay in June in order to be able to advertise Bonanzle to my buyers. I may have to rethink that plan now that I have read AuctionBytes today. Perhaps I will never sell on eBay again...

I have barely checked on the details of the new dispute process, but several people are claiming that buyers can file a complaint, talk to an eBay representative, immediately get their payments refunded, and the seller is suspended—based on one buyer complaint. Now I do not know whether this is actually true; it could be that people are not telling both sides of the story. This is something we need to keep an eye on. As I learn more, I will report it in a future post.

I do know that around two years ago that I began to have pickier buyers (that is, more of this type than previously) who complained about minor details or seemed to expect the worst no matter what I said or did. I noticed this change around the time of the Warner Brothers Nancy Drew movie, and at the time, I wondered whether the movie had brought in new collectors with little knowledge of how eBay worked or who had very high expectations. It may have had more to do with eBay's changes than new collectors, but that is when I noticed it.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

You know, Ebay as policy automatically follows up on buyer complaints and does not investigate them.

If you dispute a complaint, I guarantee you that no one will even bothering to read your response.

That is my job. I know when someone is not paying attention.

It reminds me of ancient Sparta where people use to be punished not for the crime but rather for getting caught.

I emailed a seller that I was very pleased with her book and did she have any more. Her response was she did not at present but would let me know if she did.

Now that is hardly making a out of Ebay sales but my response to her email was blocked!

They are such fascists!

I cannot believe that with Ebay's exclusive use of Paypal, owning both, that they are not violating anti-trust laws. Nor can I believe someone, even the Attorney General, has not filed a class action suit.