Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"All Grosset and Dunlap Books Are Reprints"

So said many collector's guides from decades ago. This myth continues to be perpetuated among booksellers. Most booksellers know better, but a good many still believe that all Grosset and Dunlap books are worthless or cannot be first printings.

From the eBay Booksellers Board:

Book Help: Ted Scott Flying Stories

Someone asked whether a Ted Scott book could be a first printing. The first person to respond stated, "Anything by Grosset and Dunlap is a reprint." This person was quickly corrected by a couple of people who stated that most of the Grosset and Dunlap series books were originally published by Grosset and Dunlap.

Further into the message thread, professorbooknoodle stated:
There was a time in the book world -- years and years ago -- when dealers sneered at G & D books - and eschewed them -- nay - spurned them. But there were always a few bright-eyed collectors and dealers who ignored the prevailing winds and set out from shore a bit further, buying nice Grossets when prices were as low as a worm's perspective.

When ever a book was thrown across a room, there was 50% chance it was a Grosset.

Now the problem is to find specimens with spiffy jackets. That was always a goal, but there used to be more of them. Just a natural attrition.

Oldbookshopnj wrote, "I clearly remember going to a book sale and not buying G&D series books because I knew all G&D books were reprints."

Ouch! I have heard similar stories many times.

1 comment:

Phyl said...

I just read the summeries on your website for the Arden Blake mysteries and I was wondering if you could tell me what is on the covered painting in book 3. If you don't want to answer this on your blog you can post a comment on my blog. I'm one of your followers. I now check your blog everyday to check up on the lead law (which is life-threatening!!!- to me that is-I LOVE BOOKS!!!!!)