Monday, February 2, 2009

Bonanzle Update #3

Like my previous post, this one also includes multiple topics and is partly about eBay and partly about Bonanzle.

Bonanzle is one of the easiest to use e-commerce sites on the internet. I packaged my most recent sale tonight, and then I sent the buyer a message. There is a link next to the user ID for a person to send an email. Bonanzle uses JavaScript, and a little window opens. I can type my message quickly and send it. I don't have to open another window or mess with selections in a drop-down box. The message gets sent to the user's Bonanzle messages and to their personal email. It is so fast and simple.

I found an old article in which Bill Harding is interviewed and explains how he created the site to be simple and easy to use:

On Bonanzle Marketplace, Simplicity Sells

If you are at all interested in Bonanzle, make sure you read the article. There is some information in it that I have not read elsewhere.

Harding mentions how complicated sites like eBay are. I agree. Earlier when I wrote my previous post, I needed to find eBay's fee chart so that I could figure what my eBay fees would have been. I went to the help pages and searched for fees. I had to click on around five different pages before I finally found the one with the fees. On Bonanzle, the link to the fees page sends users to the fees page. How original! Imagine if all sites could be like that !

I have a few items that I have bought today on eBay, and I decided to pay for them tonight. In My eBay (the "new and improved" version, of course), I found it not that easy to immediate spot the items that needed payment sent. I knew that it looked different in the old version, but I could not immediately recall what in the old version made the unpaid items stand out.

EBay Canada has not yet been changed to the "new and improved" version, so I went to eBay Canada. Now I see! Here is the old version, which has little yellow boxes indicating that payment needs to be sent:


The ones that need to be paid really stand out in comparison to the ones that are already paid. Here is the new version:


In the new version, the "Pay now" and the "Leave feedback" links look very similar, so it is not so easy to spot the unpaid items. How is this better? What kind of people design something that is inferior to the original product?

In the last 24 hours, Bonanzle has gained around 1,000 users, which is the biggest gain I've seen in a single day in the last month. It must be the Bonanzle mention in AARP.

Also, I have now seen another one of my Outdoor Girls books on the homepage. For some reason, my Outdoor Girls books are liked by Bonanzle's homepage.

2 comments:

Paula said...

More good news for Bonanzle. I hope they continue to do well! We need an alternative to ebay.

I commented and asked a question related to protecting books on this post a few days ago: http://series-books.blogspot.com/2009/01/book-that-came-back.html

Is there any way to see what comments have been posted today, even if they aren't posted on the most recent blog post? Thanks!

Jennifer said...

I commented and asked a question related to protecting books on this post a few days ago

I meant to respond, but it slipped my mind. I have no idea why. I get emails each time a comment is made, so there is no way that I can miss comments. When I seem to ignore one, it is likely because I didn't have time when I first read it and then forgot to respond.

Is there any way to see what comments have been posted today, even if they aren't posted on the most recent blog post?

I didn't know the answer, and it took me 20 minutes to figure it out! It is possible, although a bit cumbersome if you want to do it for the entire blog. I think the topic should be mentioned in a new post to the blog, so that is where I will answer. And I'd better not forget!

Okay, I just fixed it so I won't forget!

I was going to respond to the mylar cover question here, but I should do it on that other post. That will be my next task.

For anyone else who is reading this, I write of this post and its comments:

The Book That Came Back