Saturday, January 24, 2009

More on the "New and Improved" My eBay

I still don't like it. I'm fine with the main page of My eBay now that I've tweaked it, but I hate the saved searches page and how long it takes to load for me on Firefox. Since most of the people complaining about the new version use Internet Explorer, I decided to see how bad it is. Keep in mind that I'm using a very new computer that has virtually no glitches yet.

My eBay loaded slowly in Internet Explorer. The saved searches page hung for 20 to 30 seconds before I could scroll or click on anything. I then decided to reload the page just for kicks. That was a mistake. Internet Explorer froze up on me, and I had to open Task Manager in order to get it closed. I'm not going to make that mistake again. I will never again try to open the "new and improved" My eBay from Internet Explorer. I now know why so many people are howling with displeasure on the message boards. One person even suggested that the new version was created by baboons!

I am running a few searches from my saved searches page, but I am doing around half of them from my bookmarked page on eBay Canada. Sad to say, eBay Canada is supposed to switch to the new version in a few days. After it changes, I will see if I can find another international site that has not changed.

One of my primary problems with the new version is that recently visited links are no longer a different color. Some of my searches are not run very often, so I may just delete them since they now look exactly like all of my other searches. This probably will result in me buying less.

While most Firefox users are not reporting any slowdowns, the pages are definitely slighter slower for me than they were with the old version. I have read that Google Chrome is faster than Firefox is with the new My eBay, so I may download it this weekend. I must either find a way to make my saved searches page load faster or else stop using eBay. I'm not quite ready to completely abandon eBay even though I'd like to do it.

If you hate the setup of the summary page for the new version, you can make changes so that it will resemble the old version. This is what mine now looks like:


The color bar for each section can be changed. Select "edit," and change it to the color of your choice. We only get five choices, so I picked green because it's Bonanzle's color. The sections can be dragged up or down by at least two different methods. There is also a place where you can choose which sections will appear on your summary page. It took awhile, but I finally managed to get the messages section to appear first followed by selling reminders, buying reminders, and watched items just like I had it before. Now I'm happy with the summary page. If only I could make the saved searches page look like it did before and could get it to load faster . . .

No comments: