Sunday, December 28, 2008

Buyer Confusion on Nancy Drew #22

I have been asked quite a few times in the last year how to tell which Nancy Drew picture covers have the original text and which ones have the revised text. I finally put that information on this page:

http://series-books.com/nancydrew/pc1-56.html

The above page should now make it easy to see. Underneath each image, I have stated whether that cover art has the original or the revised text. For most titles, the text was revised at the same time that the cover art was revised, so it is easy to tell whether a book has the original text.

There are a few exceptions, and these are noted as well. I went through Farah's Guide to make certain that I had all of the exceptions, and I found a couple of which I was not aware. I now know that I have a few more books that I need to find.

It is also possible to tell which text a picture cover has by looking at the spines. I discussed the spines in this older post:

Buyer Confusion on Nancy Drew #9

By knowing what the spines and front covers look like for the original text picture cover books, it is possible to avoid having to ask questions about most books in most auctions.

4 comments:

Jack C said...

Thanks Jenn-
I'll bookimark the page to keep things straight for me. If you're in a store you can always check the amount of chapters, but on line always makes it harder to find out!

rachel said...

Hi Jennifer, Just wanted to make a comment regarding the interesting printing errors you have found in some books and wanted to know what you thought of a few I have found. Just today I bought a Bobbsey Twins called 'In Volcano Land' and in the cover of the jacket the name of a place 'Mt. Kilauea' is spelt with the last 'a' upside down! In the book its spelt correctly. I also have a book from the Collins seagull library called 'The key of rose cottage' and in the dust jacket the name of a character is 'Roberta' and in the book she is 'Robin'! Just thought these quirks interesting!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite Bobbsey Twins typos is in the back of one of the older books where it lists the series as having been written by "Arthur Lee Hope" - I really can't imagine how that happened unless someone confused "Arthur" and "author" (?)

Jennifer White said...

Just today I bought a Bobbsey Twins called 'In Volcano Land' and in the cover of the jacket the name of a place 'Mt. Kilauea' is spelt with the last 'a' upside down!

That is a rather odd and interesting error!

in the dust jacket the name of a character is 'Roberta' and in the book she is 'Robin'!

I always wonder about how mistakes like that end up in books. It is probably someone not paying close attention.

I still wonder about the Brownie Scouts series by Mildred A. Wirt. The main character's name is Veve in the first four books and Vevi in the last two books. It really can't be just an error since the name is Vevi all through the last two books. Did Mildred Wirt decide she liked the different spelling better? Did she forget how she spelled it? I wish I knew.

where it lists the series as having been written by "Arthur Lee Hope"

Now that is funny!