Sunday, November 23, 2008

Another Adventure Girls Boxed Set

I have owned one Saalfield Adventure Girls boxed set for quite a long time, but recently, I purchased a second Saalfield Adventure Girls boxed set. My new boxed set has a different design than the one that I already had.


This is the Adventure Girls boxed set that I already had:


As seen below, the books are not the same height, so the boxed sets are not the same size:


Since the taller Saalfield books are the same height as the Adventure Girls books that were published by the A. L. Burt Company, I assume that the taller Saalfield books are older than the shorter ones. The A. L. Burt Company sold much of its series book inventory to Saalfield in 1938, while its Beverly Gray books were sold to Grosset and Dunlap. Grosset and Dunlap kept its first Beverly Gray books at the same height as the A. L. Burt books, so it is likely that Saalfield did the same with the Adventure Girls books. Probably the taller books are from the late 1930s, and the shorter books are from the 1940s.

1 comment:

Lenora said...

I can verify that the Mary Lou/Lavell series was also printed in two different heights--my copies of the second and third books are quite a bit bigger than my copy of the first one. I wonder if the two different sizes are true of most of the "Oversized Editions" advertised on the backs of my larger books?
Conversely, my Altemus edition of a Doris Force book is much smaller than my Donohue and Goldsmith copies.