Friday, August 1, 2008

Judy Bolton Formats

I have updated my Judy Bolton Formats page to show the 1946 red book with burgundy print and burgundy staircase endpapers as well as all of the reprints from the last 30 years.

It was quite a few years ago when I briefly had one of the red books with burgundy staircase endpapers. Since I could not remember what the outside of the book looked like, I did not know how to look for another at the time that I created my formats page. Ever since one was brought to my attention recently, I have made a point of watching the Judy Bolton listings for them.

I have so far seen #1, 6, 8, 9, 14, 16, and 17 in this format. This is just in the last few weeks. Since I have already noticed seven titles in such a short period of time, I feel that it is likely that all of the first 17 titles were printed in this format.

I have already seen two examples of #17 in this format. The more recent case has the seller stating that it is a RARE first edition. Since the seller's book is the second example I have seen in just a few weeks, it is not RARE. It is also not the first printing. The first printing of Rainbow Riddle is a green book with pink staircase endpapers. The second printing of Rainbow Riddle is a red book with blue staircase endpapers. Now that I know about this new format, I can state that the third printing of Rainbow Riddle is a red book with burgundy staircase endpapers. So, there are three printings of Rainbow Riddle that appear to be the first printing, but only the green book is the true first printing.

5 comments:

Jack C said...

Jennifer-

Thanks for the information! These books are rather nice looking. A Third format for JB! It's like a new discovery!

This blog is certainly a wealth of information! Thanks again-

Jack

Jack C said...

Jennifer-

When will we read on your blog your thoughts on the Kay Tracey books?

Jack

Jennifer White said...

Right now I am reading the Girl Scouts series by Edith Lavell. Once I am done with those, I will decide what to read next. Since I am to the point where I do not often finish a complete set of a "new" series to read, I am going to be revisiting ones that I have already read.

I would really like to read the Linda Carlton books by Edith Lavell, but I am still lacking one title. Most people probably think that there are only three titles in that series, but there are actually five. I need one of either volume 4 or 5.

I nearly began rereading the original text Nancy Drew books earlier this summer, but I abruptly decided to reread the Beverly Gray books instead. I may reread a series after I finish the Lavell books, but I have not decided which one yet. Kay Tracey is a possibility, but I may also choose Judy Bolton, the Dana Girls, or Connie Blair.

Lenora said...

I have a plain red copy with haunted house end papers of The Rainbow Riddle, which lists to itself internally and on the dust jacket flap. Not sure if they're mismatched, but I purchased it to mate with my 1st edition green copy.

Jennifer White said...

The first printing dust jacket lists to Rainbow Riddle on the front flap, Nancy Drew to Tolling Bell on the back flap, and Cherry Ames to Veterans' Nurse on the back panel.

The red Rainbow Riddle book that I have which has the blue print on the cover is probably the second printing. Its dust jacket is exactly the same as the first printing dust jacket.

There is a current auction on eBay for the Rainbow Riddle red book with the burgundy staircase endpapers. The seller shows all parts of the dust jacket in the photo. The dust jacket for it also matches the first printing dust jacket exactly. The books are the only difference, so mating a dust jacket from the second or third printing book should work fine.

Multiple printings with the identical dust jacket happened often with the Grosset and Dunlap books. They likely printed a bunch of the dust jackets and put them on the books as additional books were needed and printed. So, technically, the second and third printing dust jackets were the first printing dust jacket but placed on a later book.