Monday, July 14, 2008

More eBay Stuff

Series Book VICKI BARR: FLIGHT 908 1962 1st DJ Item #200237042600

Holy moly! Two of the big spenders went at it again, and this book in dust jacket closed at $355.00.

........................................................

Series Book NANCY DREW: CLUE OF TAPPING HEELS 1942 w/DJ Item #190234978998

This book closed at $24.49. Normally, this would be fine, but the top half of the front panel is noticeably faded. I'm sure it is not camera flash, as there is a straight line where the fade begins. The seller does not mention the fade, but it is right there in the picture for everyone to see. Do buyers even pay attention to these things?

........................................................

NANCY DREW IS BACK ! Item #160259804146

I wasn't aware that she ever left!

........................................................

Nancy Drew Vintage COMPLETE BOOK SET 1-56 RARE Cookbook Item #190234988977

I am wondering which one is supposed to be RARE—the complete set of #1-56 or the Nancy Drew Cookbook? Maybe both? I just found six complete sets of the matte ND #1-56 in the completed listings on eBay. The sets are not RARE. I found four completed listings of the Nancy Drew Cookbook from the 1970s, so they are not RARE, either.

By the way, I bought a lot of 38 Nancy Drew books on eBay a couple weeks ago for a total cost of about $49.00 including shipping. I bought the lot to help with making a complete set to sell and for other related reasons. Included was the Nancy Drew Cookbook, and it turned out to be the first printing from 1973. Score!

........................................................

Nancy Drew Books (Complete Set) Matte Picture Cover Item #220254289018

Speaking of complete sets, this one closed at $554.57, which is one of the better prices that I have seen in a while. Normally, the complete sets of matte picture covers sell for $150.00-$350.00. Whenever I sell a complete set, I try to get around $250.00-$300.00, which breaks down to between $5.00 and $6.00 per book. The closing price for the above listing is close to $10.00 per book.

........................................................

Lot of 23 Dana Girl Mystery Stories BOOKS Carolyn Keene Item #330250406510

I have listed this one just to point out that whether buyers realize it or not, their primary competition is the resellers. The second-highest bidder for this lot is a reseller for the different series books. This particular reseller tends to bid somewhat aggressively for the books, and if she had won the lot, she would have been able to have turned it into a profit.

........................................................

AS NEW Lot of 4 APPLEWOOD Nancy Drew By Carolyn Keene Item #350076053901

This lot of four low-numbered Applewood editions closed at $93.00. The volumes are #3, 4, 5, and 6. A few of them are earlier printings, but not first printings. Amazon still has #3, #4, and #6 at $12.21 each and #5 at $17.95.

........................................................

I'm going to add one more thought to this post. From this message thread on eBay, oldbookshopnj made this comment:

My personal reaction, and I realize that this may not be shared by anyone else, is that "rare" is a term that is so blatantly overused on ebay that I start with an immediate negative perception whenever I see the word in a title.

So for the people who love to overuse the word RARE, I have the same reaction. I tend now to think that anything that is labeled as RARE is actually not RARE and wonder why I should even look at it.

No comments: