Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Judy Bolton Reprints

The first group of the Judy Bolton softcover reprints has been released by Applewood. The books that are currently available are #1-5, 7, 10-12, 14, 21, 23, 26-28, 30-32, and 35. I ordered all of these and received some of them today. The rest will be shipping soon. The books that I now have are pictured below.


The books measure 8 5/8 inches tall by 5 5/8 inches wide. These are high quality softcover editions. The paper is white, not gray like many modern softcover books, and is of good quality. It is not pulp paper. I believe that these are books which will hold up over time and can be read fairly easily without damaging the books.

These books were created by scanning the original Grosset and Dunlap editions. The text is the same familiar font, and all of the illustrations are accurately recreated and are placed in their proper positions inside the books. Thus, the insides of the books are facsimiles of the original editions.

The first printing books were used to create these editions, so The Haunted Attic has Judy's birthday mentioned on the party invitation that appears on page 160. Judy's birthday was only mentioned in the true first printing of The Haunted Attic from 1932 and was omitted from all later printings.

These books are available from Amazon.com for $10.17 each.

3 comments:

Lenora said...

I got my shipping notification today, so hopefully they'll turn up soon. I hope that they're able to round up the other covers quickly. I'm reading them in order and have stalled out at The Secret Quest, so far as being able to obtain them semi-reasonably, although I do have #38. I can't seem to get excited about the hardback reprints, since they don't have the cover art. So far, I would say that Judy Bolton is my favorite series--I like that she ages (we're not too far off in age at this point in my reading, although it's hard to be sure of her age past her wedding), and the mix of romance with mystery and adventure.

Jennifer White said...

The main drawback to the Aeonian hardcover reprints is the lack of cover art. Back in 1997 and 1998, I purchased the last seven titles for my collection from Jim Towey, who provided color copy dust jackets. Color copy dust jackets never look as good as the real thing, so I always felt that they lacked something. I later sold those reprints after I acquired original editions.

I like these softcover reprints since they do have the cover art printed directly on the book, and the reproduction is high quality, unlike color copy dust jackets.

Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden were the two series that I read as a child, so they are my favorites. Judy Bolton used to be second after those two until I read the Beverly Gray series, so now Judy Bolton is third.

Jack C said...

I received my first shipment of 5 in the mail today. I am mostly excited about these, because I haven't read the series outside of the first two, due to wanting to read in order, and a failure on my part to secure a copy of "The Invisible Chimes" that I felt good about paying the money for. Included in this shipment is numbers three, four and five, which will keep me busy for reading purposes!

Looking forward to reading-
Jack