Thursday, February 7, 2008

Betty Gordon Learns a Lesson

I am now reading Betty Gordon and the Lost Pearls, which is volume 10 in the 15 title Betty Gordon series. In this book, Betty Gordon learns a valuable lesson about accepting rides from strange men. From pages 33-35:
"My name is Walter Brisket and my buddy's name is Sidney Gold," said the darkly handsome young man, taking a cigarette from a little blue and gold pasteboard box. He lighted the cigarette and leaned familiarly toward Betty, fixing his bold, questioning eyes upon her face.

"How about a date this evening?" he inquired. "The minute I set eyes on you I said, 'That is the girl for me!' "

"Oh!" exclaimed Betty, startled. She moved a little closer to Norma. Alice glanced back and Betty was aware that her friend's face was white with anxiety.

The car dashed madly on at the rate of sixty miles an hour.

Walter Brisket laughed loudly and edged nearer to Betty. "Must not spring the shy violet act. It isn't done these days, you know."

"Please sit over," demanded Betty, suddenly losing her temper. "I'm not springing any kind of an act and I'm not making dates. All I want is to get to Maysville. I shall gladly pay you for your trouble if you'll only behave yourself and get us there."

Walter Brisket laughed loudly.

"Pretty little spitfire! Pay? Pay? Your payment is goin' to be a kiss and I'm goin' to get payment in advance!"

He seized the indignant girl in his arms. Betty felt his foul breath upon her cheek, and she screamed in terror.

As Betty Gordon cried out in terror Alice and Norma screamed in sympathy. The whole affair seemed like some dreadful nightmare to the three schoolgirls.

Sidney Gold chuckled wickedly to himself and stepped on the gas. The car shot forward at such terrific speed that it swayed from side to side and was in danger of overturning.

"Make her kiss you, Walt!" Gold cried, with a grin. "Have your fun. You always were a winner with the girls!"
Fortunately, Betty, Alice, and Norma are able to escape from the automobile before anything does happen. Even so, this scene is quite unusual for a series book, particularly one from 1927. I am finding the Betty Gordon series to be remarkable in a number of different ways.

I continue to greatly enjoy the Betty Gordon series. So far I like the Betty Gordon series better than the Ruth Fielding series. On my ratings scale of 1 to 5 that can be found in a previous post, I would give the Betty Gordon series at least a 4. I still feel like the Betty Gordon series has a lot more in common with Trixie Belden than it does with Nancy Drew. Even so, the Betty Gordon series is a definite precursor to the Nancy Drew series. It is interesting to see how bits and pieces of both Ruth Fielding and Betty Gordon became Nancy Drew.

No comments: