Sunday, January 20, 2008

The First Four Betty Gordon Books

I am nearly finished with the fourth Betty Gordon book. So far, I have been very impressed with this series. The early Ruth Fielding books were good but not great, and the series got better as it progressed. The early Betty Gordon books are great, and I dare to say that they may even be outstanding. They are well-written, highly-interesting stories.

The authors for the Betty Gordon series were Josephine Lawrence for #1-4, 7, and 9; W. Bert Foster for #5 and 6; Elizabeth M. Duffield Ward for #8; and Eunice W. Creager for #10-15. I have read that the series is uneven because of the different authors and that the later volumes are not as good as the earlier volumes. It will be interesting to see whether this is true.

I do know that the early volumes are excellent and are well worth reading. I am enjoying them greatly. The easiest way for me to measure how much I like a series book is to consider how long it takes me to read the book. I find that I want to resume reading these early Betty Gordon books at any available opportunity. I am reading them more rapidly than I read the early Ruth Fielding books.

No comments: